Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins


What’s better than waking up to the smell of freshly baked muffins, fresh from the oven? These lemon poppy seed muffins are sweet, tangy and leave you craving more


Ingredients


1 1/2 cup flour (Gluten Free Bisquick)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup plain Greek yogurt (organic optional)
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs, room temp
zest of 1 1/2  small lemons
juice of two lemons
1/4 teaspoon of lemon extract
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
1 1/2 tablespoons of poppy seeds

Method
1. Preheat oven to 350, then prep items
2. Mix dry ingredients ( flour, baking powder, salt)
3. In a different bowl mix wet ingredients (yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon and vanilla extract). Slowly, add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir until combined and smooth.
4. Gently fold in the vegetable oil and poppy seeds. ( do not over mix)
5. Pour into muffin tins about 2/3 full in each
6. Bake for about 20 mins. or until toothpick comes out clean. Then let the muffins rest for five mins. and then ENJOY!




Now that I’m done with work for the summer I have much more time to spend doing what I love – cooking! Dana had requested that I bake her something delicious – her only requirement was that it was something lemon. Well, Dana has been talking about muffins for weeks now, so I decided I would make her some Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins.

The whole idea of lemon muffins came from a dinner party that our friend had hosted earlier in the week. A friend had brought the most delicious looking muffins I had ever seen – mini lemon muffins! (The fact that they were mini made them even better) However, to my misfortune these delicious muffins were not gluten free, which ultimately means they are off limits. With these muffins taunting my mind, Dana and I decided to give it a try.

I had browsed through numerous recipes and they all seemed good, but I was afraid they would lack flavor. That’s why I decided to add extra lemon juice and lemon extract than originally called for in the recipe. Just to make sure there was a lot of the delicious, tart lemon flavor I crave. Unfortunately, I may have added too many poppy seeds as it seemed to over power the lemon more than I would have liked, however, it was still overall very satisfying. So if you are a muffin lover like myself, and love the sweet, tartness of lemons than this recipe is for you. You won’t be disappointed!



1 comment: