Friday, October 14, 2011

Creamy mashed potatoes topped with cheddar cheese broccoli


Having a hard day? Try some creamy mashed potatoes topped with cheddar cheese broccoli to help de-stress and enjoy a delicious dish of comfort food. 








Ingredients:

1 head of broccoli
1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 large golden potato
2 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs sour cream
**milk, as needed, to make more creamy**
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:

1. Peel potato until all skin has been removed, then chop up into small pieces (about 1 inch chunks)
2. Place potatoes into a deep pot. Next, fill up the pot with water until it is slightly covering the potatos. Boil on high for about 10 mins. or until the potato is tender.
3. While the potato cooks, start chopping up the head of broccoli into individual florets and grate the cheese.
4. Once potatoes are close to being done, heat up a saute pan and add olive oil and garlic.  Saute on high for about 20 seconds, then add the broccoli (turn down to med) and continue to cook until tender.
5. After about 10-20 mins. the potatoes will be close to done. Once tender, drain potatoes and mash until smooth. To make them creamy, add butter and sour cream along with salt and pepper for flavor.
6. Right before you serve, put the cheese on the broccoli and let it melt until ready.
7. Finally, plate mashed potatoes, add broccoli on top and enjoy! 





Who ever thought that cheddar cheese broccoli could be so delicious! This recipe is so simple and delicious, anyone can try it. I first thought of this one night when I got home from school and was craving so many different flavors and textures but didn't know what I wanted to eat. I knew Dana would be coming home and wanting something to eat right away, so I thought why not make her favorite mashed potatoes. Personally, I am not a HUGE mashed potato fan like she is, so I wanted something that I would favor as well. I am definitely a green type of girl, for I love most vegetables, including broccoli. However, my ultimate weakness is cheese. I have no idea why I crave it as much as I do, but there is no way I can part with it, no matter how hard I try. So, after my whole thought process, I decided to combine my love for broccoli and cheese along with Dana's love for mashed potatoes. This resulted in one of my favorite hearty dishes. Granted this probably has a million calories and isn't considered on a health track, however, it is satisfying and worth the occasional splurge. Sometimes, the most simple dishes could soon become the favorite in the family. So, if you are a lover of creamy, light, flavor packed mashed potatoes, along with salty, cheddar cheese goodness with a hint of vegetables, then this dish is for you! I hope you enjoy it just as much as I did :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment