Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Hello everyone,

I apologize for being absent for so long, I have just been extremely busy! Since it is the start of the new school year, I think I am going to take this blog in a new direction. Yes, I love trying new recipes and nothing will change that, however, I want this to be a place of conversation. I plan on including new delicious recipes this year, as well as,the names of restaurants that are gluten friendly and my thoughts based on the food. Now I know I am no food critic, so you are welcome to take my opinions with a grain of salt!

Over these past few months I have learned a few tips that might help when it comes to selecting restaurants that are gluten-free friendly. First, start by looking at the type of food the restaurant serves. If it is Italian, Chinese, or American, you might run into a few problems. My advice is that if you are gluten sensitive, don't even bother with an Italian restaurant (or a brewery!!!!) for even if they have gluten-free options you will have to worry about cross contamination. Trust me I learned the hard way!!!!! Second, for Chinese or any Asian cuisine, make sure that the "brown sauce" or any other sauces don't include soy sauce. Soy sauce is not gluten-free due to the way it is fermented. It is possible to buy gluten -free soy sauce in the grocery store however, most restaurants don't have it in stock. Finally, American cuisine while it does have options, it usually just ends up being a salad.

My goal is to make it easier for those who are just starting out on the gluten-free diet, curious about this life-style or have a friend or loved one who has this sensitivity. I know how hard it can be at times, but once you have a basic understanding, life will be simple. For now, I wish you all a great year and there will be more to come!!!! Sleep well and eat well!

No comments:

Post a Comment